In the Summer of 2015, an idea was exchanged amongst fellow Alumni (Anita Jackson, David Mason Jr., and Eric Owens) that developed into an interest meeting with over fifteen Trojans in attendance, held at the Hasentree Club House in Wake Forest, NC. during the Fall of October 2015.
Readily, eighteen Alumni responded to the call and votes were cast. A charter request was then submitted to Virginia State University’s National Alumni Association. On February 20, 2016, The Greater Triangle Area (NC) Chapter was duly chartered and Articles of Incorporation from the state of North Carolina were received. Our charter members are Edward V. Busch, Orlando Conner, Zatella Conner, Keonte Edmonds, Michael Eley, Beaumont Hansen, Randolph Harrison, Anita Jackson,Iris Layne (Life Member), Vivian Rawlings Lewis (life Member),David J. Mason, Jr., Nicole R. Mason, Cassandra M. Smith, Dennis M. Snead, Herlene M. Thomas, Koren Underdue Bowman, Faye Watkins, and Michael Wesson II.
The chapter was chartered with 18 members in 2016: Since chartering, the chapter has experienced growth to 30 financial members. Some of the activities that VSUAA-Greater Triangle Area Chapter (GTAC-NC) has accomplished are as follows:
- Hosted the 14th president of the University with a reception for parents and students from the Class of 2020.
- Fed VSU Men’s Basketball Team in Durham, NC prior to a game (2016).
- Fed VSU Band and Homecoming Court at GTAC (NC) Tailgate prior to Winston Salem University vs VSU at Winston Salem, NC (2016)
- Since 2016 chapter members have attended over 30 college fairs and greeted more than 600 students.
- Awarded over $2000 in scholarship grants to 4 students from the Triangle area of North Carolina.
- Sponsored a bus trip for area students to the Battle of the Bands at VSU.
- Hosted the VSU GOSPEL CHORALE in concert in April 2017.
- Sponsored a charter bus to the CIAA Football Championship in Salem, VA.
- Hosted a comedy show in Durham, 2018.
- Hosted Chapter Holiday Fellowships and Summer Cook-outs for chapter members and guests each year.
GTAC (NC) gives back to its community Along with participating with VSUAA in all of its 2017-2018 Outreach Initiatives, the chapter has been involved with its own outreach Initiatives:
- Our partnership with SOAR’s Hygiene Drive began in 2018. SOAR is a non-profit organization located in Raleigh, NC. The mission of the SOAR Hygiene Drive is to collect travel size hygiene products in order to create hygiene kits that are provided to children that attend Wake County Public School that are homeless or reside in a low-income household. Throughout the year collect travel size body soap, conditioner, combs, deodorant, hairbrushes, lotion, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, and mouthwash and prepare and deliver the kits to SOAR at the end of the summer.
- Our partnership with the Meals on Wheels of Durham, NC’s “Adopt-a-Senior” program is where we adopt several senior citizens during the holiday season and purchase a gift of their choosing in an effort to spread some cheer.
- Last but certainly not least, our outreach has extended the Loaves and Fishes Ministries located in Warrenton, NC where we have partnered with that local outreach’s food pantry. Our annual food drive concludes on Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day which is deemed a day of service. All of the donated food assists in aiding food insecure people who live in Warrenton, NC.
VSUAA or VSU has recognized GTAC (NC) and its members with the following:
- Keonte’ Edmonds-Young Trojan Award (2018);
- Shardae’ Holmes-Trojan 10 in 10 Award (2018);
- Brianna Ponder-Young Trojan Award (2019);
- GTAC (NC)-VSUAA Medium Chapter of the Year (2019)
- GTAC(NC)- Winterfest Best Chapter Attendance Percentage (2020)
During Covid19, GTAC (NC) remained engaged through regular Zoom Meetings, a Zoom Social, and Drive-by Parades for a chapter member’s birthday and a recent High school graduate.
“We strive to share the pride & love we have for Virginia State University across the Triangle & surrounding areas.”